Node transparent to events

From: Carlo Alberto Ferraris <caf@n-side.it>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 10:25:08 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org

Is it currently possible, and if so which is the preferred way, to make
a node "transparent" to events.
Let's say I want in my *HTML page an image overlayed to the page
content, is there a (preferred) way to make the overlayed image
"transparent" to events, so that the content acts as if there were no
such image?
In the case this is not possible, why hasn't this been proposed (or -
eventually - why has this been rejected)?
Thank you,
CAFxX