DOM3 erratum?

From: Joe Kesselman (yes, the address is real) <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:56:27 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org

I can't seem to find an authoritative definition of the value returned
by Node.compareDocumentPosition. "Returns how the node is positioned
relatively to the reference node". I believe we intended this to be a
Fortran-style tristate comparison (<0, 0, >0), but that isn't nailed
down, nor does this state explicitly whether <0 means this node is
before other or other is before this.

I find it hard to believe that we all missed something this obvious, so
I presume I'm overlooking it now. If someone would be so kind as to
point out my blind spot, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, we really need an erratum on this...

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Gen Web Tech: XML, XSL, and more.

When the solution you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
When the problem you have is a nail, everything looks like a hammer.
Take the time to consider alternatives!