DOM3 erratum?

From: Joe Kesselman (yes, the address is real) <keshlam-nospam@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 14:56:27 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org

I can't seem to find an authoritative definition of the value returned
by Node.compareDocumentPosition. "Returns how the node is positioned
relatively to the reference node". I believe we intended this to be a
Fortran-style tristate comparison (<0, 0, >0), but that isn't nailed
down, nor does this state explicitly whether <0 means this node is
before other or other is before this.

I find it hard to believe that we all missed something this obvious, so
I presume I'm overlooking it now. If someone would be so kind as to
point out my blind spot, I'd appreciate it.

Otherwise, we really need an erratum on this...

--
Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Gen Web Tech: XML, XSL, and more.

When the solution you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
When the problem you have is a nail, everything looks like a hammer.
Take the time to consider alternatives!