Re: DOM Interfaces & XInclude

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:25:43 -0400
To: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org

>At best, we can load the included tree with
>readonly nodes, and excluded them at save time.

Note that this is precisely isomorphic to the question of how to handle
Parsed Entity References. Those too are generally rendered as readonly
nodes, optionaly with an Entity Reference node to make re-serializing the
document practical.

Enumerate the usecases -- including ones that aren't immediately relevant
to your particular application. Use those to drive requirements. Use those
to drive the solution. That's the only way to get something general-purpose
enough that it's worth standardizing.

Joe Kesselman, IBM Next-Generation Web Technologies: XML, XSL and more.
"The world changed profoundly and unpredictably the day Tim Berners Lee
got bitten by a radioactive spider." -- Rafe Culpin, in r.m.filk