Re: Practical approaches for DOMError.type [was Re: Collisions with identifiers in DOMError.type]

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Frans Englich wrote:

> One question to that which might arise, is what kind of URI to use. The common
> type URL is wrong, since it identifies physical files which "error types" are
> not. Errors are abstract, and that's what the chosen URI type should be
> suitable for to identify.

I do not think that it is correct to say that using any type of URI in this
case is wrong.  If you consider URNs to identify resources on the internet,
on the one hand, then with a browser that was sufficiently connected to urn
schemes, I suspect you might find yourself retrieving a file-like resource
using the URN in question, and it is established practice to use http scheme
URIs to identify many things from namespaces to SAX API options.  While there
is no consensus what to place at the end of a namespace or other URI used as
an generic identifier rather than a specific resource identifier, calling
such usage wrong will get you an argument from the many who think it proper
to be able to have it point to some physical reaource -- if nothing else a
human-readable description of the identity.  A quick Google search returned
the following that briefly discusses the similar problem as seen for
namespaces.

http://xml.oreilly.com/news/xmlnut2_0201.html

Ray Whitmer