Re: Comments for PR-DOM-Level-3-LS-20040205

At 14:42 -0500 2/24/04, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:

>  >      The source document must be an XML fragment. A fragment is anything
>>       except a complete XML document, a DOCTYPE (internal subset), entity
>>       declaration(s), notation declaration(s), or XML or text
>>       declaration(s). Note that a complete XML document with context node
>  >      of type DOCUMENT_NODE and action ACTION_REPLACE_CHILDREN is a
>>       fragment.
>
>Not done, since a complete document is not a fragment. I kept the
>current wording.

To double check, and please pardon a layman's terminology. The
current wording is:

     The source document must be an XML fragment, i.e. anything except a
     complete XML document (except in the case where the context node of
     type DOCUMENT_NODE, and the action is ACTION_REPLACE_CHILDREN), a
     DOCTYPE (internal subset), entity declaration(s), notation
     declaration(s), or XML or text declaration(s).

Because it is an exception to an exception, the latter case (a
"complete XML document" "where the context node of type DOCUMENT_NODE,
and the action is ACTION_REPLACE_CHILDREN") stays true. Or, put another
way: Within the set of "anything," there is a subset named "except"
containing complete XML documents, DOCTYPE, entity and notation
declaration(s), XML or text declarations. Then within the subset
"except" there is "(except in the case...)" that is called out as being
not excepted. So I think the way this reads, it must be a fragment.

Maybe though, the current wording is accurate and clear to those
familiar with the DOM. I trust it will be fine.

Thanks for the quick reply!
--
Susan Lesch           http://www.w3.org/People/Lesch/
mailto:lesch@w3.org               tel:+1.858.483.4819