"LSSerializer.writeToString - what encoding declaration?"

From: Kasimier Buchcik <kbuchcik@4commerce.de>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:29:52 +0100
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

Hi,

I'm trying to implement the method LSSerializer.writeToString and would
like to know what encoding declaration should be written if serializing
the document node. Should it always be "UTF-16", or should it be the
current xmlEncoding (e.g. ISO-8859-1)? What about if the DOMString is
UTF-16LE encoded, as in our implementation: should it always be "UTF-16"
or "UTF-16LE" in this case?

Any hints? I did not find any explicit information. The specs say: "this
method completely ignores all the encoding information available", but
I'm not sure about what this really means.

NOTE: After 2 months (!) of efforts to subscribe to this list, I
received the first mail from the list (2004-01-28). Since it is the only
one I received until now, I'm not sure if everything's working well: is
there simply not much traffic (I really did not expect that!), or does
the list have problems dispatching mails?

Thanks in advance,

Kasimier Buchcik