Re: i18n reviews of DOM 3 Core and Load&Save

From: Johnny Stenback <jst@w3c.jstenback.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 14:36:50 -0700
To: Francois Yergeau <FYergeau@alis.com>
Cc: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>, "'w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org'" <w3c-i18n-ig@w3.org>

Francois Yergeau wrote:
[...]
>>>LS3) In the discussion of interface DOMSerializer (above the IDL
>>>definition), it would be nice if character references were
>>specified to be
>>>hexadecimal (preferred) or decimal.  One way or the other
>>determined by the
>>>spec, not implementation-dependent.  Similarly (still
>>within DOMSerializer),
>>>it would be better to specify serialization of attribute
>>values to be always
>>>in quotes (or apostrophes, you choose), with escaping as necessary.
>>
>>The DOM WG discussed this before, and the WG has always
>>decided against
>>doing this. If you want canonicalized output, set the
>>"canonical-form"
>>parameter, if not, you'll get implementation dependent output.
>

> Hmmmm...  Reluctantly accepted.  Given the apparently zero implementation
> burden of choosing one way or the other in the spec, one wonders why the WG
> resists this.  Of course, the benefit is not great either, but given the
> rather severe under-specification of serializing anything but Documents and
> Entities, any amount of predictability would seem desirable...

One of the reasons the this request was rejected is that the WG wants
existing DOM serializers be wrappable in an LS serializer w/o changes to
the existing serializer (which may or my not be in control of who's
wrapping it in an LSSerializer interface) and still be able to claim
compliance (which wouldn't be possible if the existing serializer
character references in a way that didn't follow what's required by the
LS spec).

> We would appreciate a at least some text encouraging implementers to use hex
> for character references, since that is what all character encoding
> standards use.

Done.

--
jst