Object 'long' in DOM 2 Events

From: Gavin Kistner <gavin@refinery.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:09:27 -0600
Cc: svg-and-the-dom@yahoogroups.com, diblasi_r <rdiblasi@svgnotebook.com>
To: www-dom@w3.org

[my apologies if this is a duplicate-topic email--company's email
servers crashed yesterday and, not seeing an email from me in the
archives, I'm unsure if the original made it through]

In working on ObjJob (http://phrogz.dnsalias.net/ObjJob/) and parsing
the ECMAScript binding for DOM 2 Events, my parser found an object of
type 'long' mentioned in several locations. For example:

	The UIEvent object has the following methods:
	initUIEvent(typeArg, canBubbleArg, cancelableArg, viewArg, detailArg)
	... The detailArg parameter is a long object.

	The MouseEvent object has the following properties:
	screenX ... This read-only property is a long object.
	screenY ... This read-only property is a long object.
	clientX ... This read-only property is a long object.
	clientY ... This read-only property is a long object.

	-- http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/ecma-script-binding.html

I assume that this refers to a long integer, which is fine for the
specification. However, as ECMAScript does not differentiate between
floats and ints, having only a Number type, I believe instances of the
word 'long' in the ECMAScript binding should be replaced with Number.

I will certainly be doing so in ObjJob, and making a note of the
original spec in the comments. If this is incorrect, if I'm overlooking
an officially-defined 'long' object, please let me know.

--
Gavin Kistner @ Refinery, Inc.
gavin@refinery.com