Re: Draft Note on DOM Support for XPath 2.0

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 07:04:00 -0400
To: Ray Whitmer <ray@xmission.com>, www-dom@w3.org

At 8:25 AM -0600 8/21/03, Ray Whitmer wrote:

We produced the attached note on how to extend the Candidate
Recommendation specification to support XPath 2.0.  This keeps all
interfaces but one -- the result object, which is substituted to
support the enhanced types, sequences, etc.  This is why the
specification returns an object instead of a specific result object
type.  The 2.0 request codes are distinct permitting an application to
support either or both and an implementation to support either or both.

For the record, I disagree with that decision. I think the evaluate()
method should return an XPathResult. I don't think that XPath 1.0 and
2.0 or similar enough that they can be profitably served by the same
API, and I don't like crippling the XPath 1.0 API in service to a
theoretical XPath 2.0 API. Please consider this a formal request that
the evaluate() function be respecified to return XPathresult instead
of Object.
--

   Elliotte Rusty Harold
   elharo@metalab.unc.edu