Re: The type document.body should be HTMLBodyElement, no ?

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 27 Feb 2003 16:31:22 -0500
To: Teng-Fong Seak <seak_tengfong@yahoo.com>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

On Tue, 2003-02-25 at 14:46, Teng-Fong Seak wrote:
>     In the following two URLs, we can find the same definition line :
> attribute   HTMLElement   body;
>     But I think it's more appropriate to have :
> attribute   HTMLBodyElement  body;
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929/level-one-html.html#ID-26809268
> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-26809268
>     It's just a small documentation issue, I think, because major
> browsers are using HTMLBodyElement instead of HTMLElement anyway.  Or
> is this written intentionally like this so that browsers are advised to
> stop supporting attributes of document.body like aLink, bgColor, etc
> since they're deprecated ?  But the second paragraph of this URL seems
> to oppose what I thought :
> http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-HTML/html.html#ID-26809268

I believe that the description indicates why it is not always an
HTMLBodyElement object:
The element that contains the content for the document. In documents
with BODY contents, returns the BODY element. In frameset documents,
this returns the outermost FRAMESET element.

The body attribute may also contain an HTMLFrameSetElement object.