RE: Event: virtual key codes

From: Rowland Shaw <Rowland.Shaw@crystaldecisions.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 23:59:44 -0700
To: "'Philippe Le Hegaret'" <plh@w3.org>, Brad Pettit <bradp@microsoft.com>
Cc: WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>

Philippe Le Hegaret [mailto:plh@w3.org] wrote...
> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 04:09, Brad Pettit wrote:
> > I question whether it's appropriate for DOM to define
> > as many virtual keys as it already does. Many of these
> > keys are very device- or platform-specific.
> >
> > Also, you mention Unicode, which seems orthogonal to
> > the discussion of virtual key codes. Aren't VK_ codes
> > intended for key events and not character events? For
> > example, there are not separate VK codes for '3' and '#'
> > because they occupy the same key on the qwerty keyboard.
>
> Keycodes are device specific in any case so relying on them
> for keydown/keyup would be inappropriate imho. Instead we
> rely on the character that would be generated by pressing the
> key. The specification is unclear however on which character
> should be generated, i.e. with or without the modifier:
> - A generates a 'a' on keydown/up, shift+A generates 'A'.
> - 3 generates a '3' on keydown/up, shift+3 generates '3' (and not '#').
> Yet another inconsistency in the keyboard character system...

In my opinion, the only sensible way, is that always the generated character
would be generated.
So in my case, shift+'3' will generate ''. I think it's important that the
users' locales are abstracted sufficiently so that we don't have to think,
"ah yes, shift+3 is a currency symbol, so that's OK"

In turn, this suggests to me that the best method is to return the (Unicode)
character -- which a few virtual keys left over for non printing keys (for
example, cursor, f-keys, esc, etc.)