Re: Comment from CSS WG on HTML DOM draft

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: 11 Feb 2002 19:57:25 -0500
To: John Keiser <jkeiser@iname.com>
Cc: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, WWW DOM <www-dom@w3.org>
On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 04:59, John Keiser wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 11:56, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 15:19, Bert Bos wrote:
> > > This is the official comment from the CSS working group on the "DOM
> > > Level 2 HTML" working draft[1]. It is a week late, my excuses. It got
> > > lost. Hopefully it can still be taken into account.
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20011210
> > >

> > In November 2000, DOM Level 2 HTML was delayed for backward
> > compatibility reasons and our intent is to capture the current practice
> > in several implementation, which is not the case for indeterminate. Only
> > IE implementations are supporting this indeterminate feature for the
> > moment. The TriState implementation [1] does support indeterminate
> > property but it is not equivalent to the one in IEs. So, even if other
> > implementation are going to implement indeterminate in the future, we
> > prefer not to add this new feature for the moment. This certainly needs
> > to be on the list for an XForms API at some point.
> >
> > Please, let us know if you are (or are not) satisfy with this decision,
> >

> The :indeterminate selector is in CSS3.  We cannot implement this
> without a .indeterminate property in the DOM or an INDETERMINATE attr in
> HTML, or by going beyond existing standards.

Unless you're planning to implement our CSS engine on top of a generic
DOM Level 2 HTML implementation, I don't see how we prevent you from
adding this information in your implementation. You're missing lots of
information from DOM Level 2 HTML in order to implement a Web Browser on
top of it (:visited, ...) anyway.All we say is, we won't expose this
information to the DOM user.

Philippe