Re: Comment from CSS WG on HTML DOM draft

On Mon, 2002-02-11 at 11:56, Philippe Le Hegaret wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 15:19, Bert Bos wrote:
> > This is the official comment from the CSS working group on the "DOM
> > Level 2 HTML" working draft[1]. It is a week late, my excuses. It got
> > lost. Hopefully it can still be taken into account.
> >
> > [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-DOM-Level-2-HTML-20011210
> >

> In November 2000, DOM Level 2 HTML was delayed for backward
> compatibility reasons and our intent is to capture the current practice
> in several implementation, which is not the case for indeterminate. Only
> IE implementations are supporting this indeterminate feature for the
> moment. The TriState implementation [1] does support indeterminate
> property but it is not equivalent to the one in IEs. So, even if other
> implementation are going to implement indeterminate in the future, we
> prefer not to add this new feature for the moment. This certainly needs
> to be on the list for an XForms API at some point.
>
> Please, let us know if you are (or are not) satisfy with this decision,

The :indeterminate selector is in CSS3.  We cannot implement this
without a .indeterminate property in the DOM or an INDETERMINATE attr in
HTML, or by going beyond existing standards.

Is it OK for the CSS, DOM and HTML standards not to interoperate?  I am
willing to wait on this if it means we have time to properly hash out
whether it should be tri-state or quad-state.

--John