Re: getElementsByTagName() in Mozilla HTML implementation

From: Thomas Much <thomas@snailshell.de>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:20:01 +0100
To: Rowland Shaw <Rowland.Shaw@crystaldecisions.com>, Curt Arnold <curta_ontheroad@yahoo.com>, Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>, <www-dom@w3.org>
am 07.02.2002 10:45 Uhr schrieb Rowland Shaw unter
Rowland.Shaw@crystaldecisions.com:

> According to http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-id the id
> attribute *is* case-sensitive in HTML 4.01, and in that respect, I'd say
> that the Gecko implementation is correct.

IDs and tag names are two different things - we're not talking about
getElementById()!

According to <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.2.1>
"Element names are always case-insensitive". An element name is the string
that appears in the start tag and end tag (not the NAME attribute).

I really think that getElementsByTagName should be case-insensitive, too,
for HTML documents.

bye, Thomas