Re: Link between DOM Core and DOM AS

From: Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:03:17 -0500
To: www-dom@w3.org
At 10:42 AM -0500 1/18/02, Martin Tapp wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to figure how I would be able to access schema information, like
>ASElementDecl, from a DOM Element node.  There doesn't seem to be a way from
>the ElementEditAS either...

I have to say I find the whole abstract schemas approach to be
woefully lacking in basic functionality. There really should be some
sort of getType() method on Element, Attr, and perhaps Node that
returns some representation of the DTD type and possibly the schema
type. Details could be worked out (Two separate methods for DTD and
schema types or just one? Which interfaces to put this on? How are
types represented? etc.) but first there'd need to be a recognition
from the DOM group that this is an important requirement that AS as
currently designed simply does not solve.