RE: DOM events - mousewheel?

From: Arnold, Curt <Curt.Arnold@hyprotech.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:51:12 -0600
To: "'www-dom@w3.org'" <www-dom@w3.org>
I would think being able to capture mouse wheel movements would be much more
compelling in SVG than in HTML where applications could overload it to do
rotation or some other manipulation.

Even if it were added to DOM 3 Events, it wouldn't be effective in SVG 1.1
unless they added it to their recognized and supported list.  So maybe, it
would be appropriate for SVG WG to define it and then have it percolate back
into HTML.  It would not appear to require any modifications to MouseEvent
or UIEvent since the detail attribute could be used to encode the direction
and distance of movement.

It would be good if someone could recap the state of the current browser
support for events related to the wheel enabled mice.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/events/onmousewhee
l.asp documents Microsoft IE's mousewheel event.

p.s. I'm going to reference this thread to www-svg and svg-comments, since
it seems very timely for them.