RE: DOM events - mousewheel?

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:08:05 -0400
To: "Thierry Kormann" <tkormann@ilog.fr>
Cc: "jonathan chetwynd" <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>, "Philippe Le Hegaret" <plh@w3.org>, "Dmitry Kirsanov" <dmitry@kirsanov.com>, <www-dom@w3.org>

>Don't you think that if the DOM WG does not add this event, it will have
>deal with this issue one day or another because browsers will provide the
>'mousewheel' event and then will need interoperability.

Someone may have to deal, if mousewheels last longer than mice with
Trackpoints... and if mice themselves survive rather than being replaced
with other pointing devices.

Probably not with mousewheel, since what will happen is that people will
bind mousewheel at a low level to something meaningful, and use the latter
in their apps. More accessibility for users who don't happen to have or be
able to operate a wheel, and more flexibility for those who want to use the
wheel for something else. Hardwired user interfaces are NOT the wave of the
future, in my opinion.

And probably not the DOM, since the DOM is primarily a Document API rather
than a Browser API. We provided a "starter kit" of events. I don't think we
want to get into the business of defining all the events for everyone. If
HTML defines a mousewheel event despite the preceeding paragraph,, the DOM
can support it. That's as much as the DOM needs to do, and probably as much
as the DOM should do.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research