Re: What is the meaning of the DOM ECMAScript binding?

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 16:49:38 -0800
To: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Cc: www-dom@w3.org
> The DOM is an API, not a set of specific variables. It expressed absolutely
> no opinion on what your variable are called; it just says that if you have
> an object which presents the Document interface, it will have thus-and-such
> methods and properties and behaviors.

On the other hand, to the extend that it's an API that can't be bootstrapped
(through standard-specified symbols) it's guaranteeing portability bugs.

I see no reason why DOM shouldn't standardize ways to get at a Document
in those contexts where a particular implementation ("the one glued to this
browser window/database/...") isn't needed.

- Dave