encoding ignored in MSXML Load method

From: Tim <tfraser@miray.jeffsys.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 10:13:52 -0500 (EST)
To: <www-dom@w3.org>

I'm not sure if this is the right list for this question.  If not, please
direct me to the appropriate place.  Thanks.

Here's the problem:

I'm using MSXML 4 and DOM to load an XML document into a DOMDocument
object.  I explicitly state the encoding of the XML document as UTF-8, but
when I use the Load or the LoadXML method of the DOMDocument object, the
encoding attribute of the 'xml' processing instruction is being ignored.
I read in the MSXML 4 documentation that "loadXML() will work only with
UTF-16 or UCS-2 encodings" so I suppose this means that I MUST use Load().

I've tried adding the byte-order mark (EF BB BF) for UTF-8 at the
beginning of the xml file, as well as making sure I'm using Line Feeds as
the line-endings, but I get the same result.

Here's the XML file (xmlfile.xml):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<fo:root>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page">
      <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-name="page">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block id="BaseFO"/>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

And the code to load it:

Set xmlFO = New MSXML2.DOMDocument
xmlFO.Load "xmlfile.xml"
Debug.Print xmlFO.xml

And the result of outputting xmlFO.xml:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<fo:root>
  <fo:layout-master-set>
    <fo:simple-page-master master-name="page">
      <fo:region-body/>
    </fo:simple-page-master>
  </fo:layout-master-set>
  <fo:page-sequence master-name="page">
    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block id="BaseFO"/>
    </fo:flow>
  </fo:page-sequence>
</fo:root>

It's the same, except with no encoding attribute!  Any ideas?

TIA,

-TIM