Re: Node.ownerDocument property: always defined?

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 14:43:47 -0400
To: David Flanagan <david@oreilly.com>
Cc: PBWiz@mail.pbwizard.com, www-dom@w3.org

> The Document object associated with this node. This is also the Document
> object used to create new nodes. When this node is a Document or a
> DocumentType which is not used with any Document yet, this is null.

I agree that the "this" is badly overloaded here, and that the antecedents
are not obvious.

Possible rewording:

The Document object associated with this node. For most nodes, this refers
to the Document whose factory methods created them (and which can be used
to create other nodes compatable with them). When a node is either a
Document, or a DocumentType which is has not yet been associated with a
specific document by the DOMImplementation.createDocument method, its
ownerDocument is null.

Better?

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research