Generating class libraries to read DOM documents

From: Michael Grazebrook <michaelg@cre.canon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 11:18:25 +0000
To: DOM-List <www-dom@w3.org>
Are there tools which will read a complex XML Schema specification, and
generate a class library which can convert a DOM document into
representations of the schema objects?

We had a pretty good search of the Web, but the nearest we could come up
with was some interesting looking vaporware from Sun for Java (no news
since
August): http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_031_xmld.html.
There are lots of great tools to help parse, write and check XML, but
nothing I could find to create usable, efficient data structures from
DOM nodes.

The DOM is an effective way to get a document into memory. But the
in-memory form is not ideal for application development - the developer
must know both XML Schema and how to use the DOM. Also the application
code becomes bulky. So I've been asked to write a class library which
converts DOM nodes into C++ objects (though there's talk of C and Java
too). Something like (simplified):

class Name {
    string    title;
    string    familyName;