Re: DOM - odd absent interface method?

If I had to do this, I would write a utility subroutine that calls known
proprietary functions if they are available and otherwise manually
reconstructs the node as has been described.

The alternative for a standard would have to be a very optional feature,
identified by feature string and not implementable by probably any
browsers and a number of other implementations with similar derived DOM
interfaces, presentations, or processing, which may rely on the name and
namespaceURI for instantiation of the appropriate class.  In that case,
I think you still need a utility subroutine that manually reconstructs
the node if the feature is not implemented.

More problematic still is the mutation events that applications may rely
on, that face completely new unexpected behaviors if the type of the
element can change.  If you still deliver the events they expect, then
the work is about the same as if you had removed and reinserted the
node.  If you do not, then this type of monitoring application would not
want to permit this type of thing to occur in its hierarchy.

How could an application prevent this from occuring when it breaks its
processing model, if the standard allowed it?

There are other new cases it introduces, like now an attribute node may
be a duplicate, now an entity reference may reference a different
entity, now an element may have different default attributes, etc.

I much prefer having them immutable for a vast majority of use cases I
have seen, and do not like the impact on these use cases if it were
permitted by the standard to be mutable.  To me, changing the tag name
is like changing the type of an object in an OO language.  It seems more
natural to construct a replacement.

Ray Whitmer
rayw@netscape.com