Re: Partial parsing of XML document

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 12:42:35 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org

>Can I parse a xml document partially.

I think  this is out of the scope of the DOM spec.

You can certainly create a system which parses incrementally; Xerces can do
it, and I just wrote a wrapper (intended for an upcoming release of Xalan)
which presents a SAX stream that way.

And you can certainly create a DOM that builds itself incrementally, using
an incremental parser to construct only as much of the document as is
actually navigated via the DOM APIs.

But from our point of view that's an implementation detail. It isn't
exposed via the DOM API.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research