Re: DOM Core Level 3 comment

From: Joseph Kesselman <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:36:26 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org

> - Node.equalsNode():  the notion of Node equality does not seem to be
>   defined anywhere; this needs to be done before test suites can be
>   written.  In particular, what it means attribute and element nodes
>   is not clear, especially in cases involving namespaces.

This does need to be spelled out in more detail. I believe that's just
work-in-progress.

I think you can assume that structural equality would be defined as being
namespace-sensitive and prefix-insensitive for namespaced nodes, since
that's the semantically meaningful view of the document. For non-namespaced
nodes. For non-namespaced nodes, I'd presume the nodename would be used; we
said that localname was null for those so there isn't much alternative.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research