Re: Difference in DOM's

On 1 Sep 2000, at 9:45, David Brownell wrote:

> Lauren, since DOM doesn't include parsing APIs,
> I don't know how you can claim "you'll get the
> same trees" ... all APIs to turn *ML text into a
> DOM tree are by definition proprietary at this
> time (or at least must be promulgated by some
> non-W3C group).

I think for HTML you should get the same tree, since most of the
optional things (e.g., entities) are in XML, not HTML. I guess some
processors could decide to throw out comments, although the
HTML processors I know of don't. The HTML DOM module
specifies a few things that need to be in the tree, such as the
TBODY elements, which may not be in the source document, so I
can't think of any place (again, modulo comments) where you
would get variations on the tree of a *valid* (not just "good") HTML
4.0 document. Can you point some concrete places out to me that
the HTML module doesn't explicitly cover?

Lauren