style sheets

From: Dieter Köhler <dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 21:34:36 +0100
To: "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
In trying to implement the DOM style sheet feature I come across the
problem where to locate the factory methods for styleSheet,
styleSheetList, LinkStyle, and DocumentStyle.
DOM2, p.133 reads: "The DocumentStyle interface provides a mechanism
by which the style sheets embedded in a document can be retrieved. The
expectation is that an instance of the DocumentStyle interface can be
obtained by using binding-specific casting methods on an instance of
the Document interface."  That treats a styleSheet as related to a
Document node and suggests implementing the factory methods at the
Document interface.  But there are two problems:

1. PIs related to style sheets can occur outside the root element. (As
I was told before, PIs outside the root element would be addressed in
DOM3.  I just want to warn that the binding of the DocumentStyle
interface to the Document interface might be a hidden preliminary
decision of this issue.)

2. Since a style sheet might be attached to different documents, it
would be naturally to implement the factory method for the styleSheet
on the DOMImplementation interface and likely to have a DocumentStyle
method on the DOMImplementation as well. Instead of the disabled
attribute of the StyleSheet we would need a list of all documents
which apply the style sheet.

 Dieter Koehler, M. A. - dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de
 Mittlere Kaulberg 22, D-96049 Bamberg, +49(0)951-5190726
 "http://www.philo.de/Philosophie-Seiten/": 1000+ Philosophie-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/VirtualLibrary/14.de.htm": Deutsche Philo-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/xml/": Open XML - XML-Komponenten fuer Delphi