Re: Namespace treatment, cloning and node.supports

From: Dieter Köhler <dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 18:32:48 +0100
To: Arnaud Le Hors <lehors@us.ibm.com>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
> Why? Having two attributes with the same qualifiedName on an element
> only is a problem if you ever want to serialize your document.

.. or if one wants to write a component which interacts with other
people's components in handling DOM trees.  One does not know, whether
the other peoples components use the old DOM1 methods for creating
attributes or the new namespace methods.  So using getAttributeNS in
my component may lead to unpredictable behavior if the other component
used setAttribute to create its DOM tree (and reverse).  Due to that,
my component would have to fix the document every time one of its
procedures are being called, because meanwhile one other component
could have altered the DOM in an unknown way.  This would result in an
huge amount of overhead for almost every operation on the attributes
attribute of an element node, if you are planing to write components
reusable in different applications.

 Dieter Koehler, M. A. - dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de
 Mittlere Kaulberg 22, D-96049 Bamberg, +49(0)951-5190726
 "http://www.philo.de/Philosophie-Seiten/": 1000+ Philosophie-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/VirtualLibrary/14.de.htm": Deutsche Philo-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/xml/": Open XML - XML-Komponenten fuer Delphi