Re: Comments on DOM 2

From: Dieter Köhler <dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 23:33:13 +0100
To: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>, "www-dom@w3.org" <www-dom@w3.org>
> DOM doesn't actually facilitate sharing DOM data structures anywhere.
> You can return DOM nodes that proxy to shared non-DOM objects, and some
> folk do.  The problem is that each node has a unique owner (can't share
> between documents) and parent or "associated element" (so can't share
> within one document) node.

Shared data structures for external DTDs are exactly what I demand.
Therefore I wrote, that factory methods for externalDTD nodes should
be placed in the DOM implementation interface, which keeps track of
them.  These external DTDs must not be part of a document tree (hereby
I mean a tree for the whole XML document including the internal DTD),
but there must be nodes in the document tree (to be more exactly:
ExternalDoctypeDeclaration nodes) that point to the external DTD nodes
of the DOM implementation interface.

 Dieter Koehler, M. A. - dieter.koehler@ppp.uni-bamberg.de
 Mittlere Kaulberg 22, D-96049 Bamberg, +49(0)951-5190726
 "http://www.philo.de/Philosophie-Seiten/": 1000+ Philosophie-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/VirtualLibrary/14.de.htm": Deutsche Philo-Links
 "http://www.philo.de/xml/": Open XML - XML-Komponenten fuer Delphi