RE: Older Sibling?

From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:11:16 -0000
To: www-dom@w3.org
Joe Kesselman wrote,
> Just a coding tip:
>
> If an optimized operation isn't supported directly in the DOM,
> consider writing a library routine to encapsulte it. This could
> use custom calls against DOM implementations that provide
> shortcuts, but fall back on standard DOM operations for those
> which don't have such features.

We've done that where appropriate but it's a Disgusting Hack(tm).

In fact, a lot of the overhead can be eliminated by testing
just once against the DOMImplementation and getting back an
object which supports a variety of optimized operations over
any instance of that impl ...

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews