Re: CSS_DIMENSION creation?

From: Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 11:08:43 -0400
To: Blaine Brodie <bbrodie@savagesoftware.com>
CC: www-dom@w3.org
Blaine Brodie wrote:
> >CSS_DIMENSION is for unknown dimension. In CSS2, all lengths, angles,
> >times
> >and frequencies are dimensions.
> >The DIMENSION token is part of the CSS2 grammar:
> >http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/syndata.html#tokenization
> >
> >setProperty("font-size", "10m", "") will create a dimension even if
> >you won't be able to use it in a CSS2 engine.
> >
> >Philippe
> >

> Maybe I am misinterpreting something.  It is my understanding that the DOM
> Level 2 is used to modify properties values of a CSS level 2 document.
> However, the CSS2 grammar [http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/grammar.html], which
> is more restrictIve than the core CSS Grammar does not contain any
> expressions with the DIMENSION token.  Does this mean that a function such
> as setProperty parses against the core CSS grammar and not the CSS2
> grammar?

The CSSPrimitive value is part of the CSS "core" object model and not
the CSS2 extension. Regarding the core syntax of CSS, "12kms" is not an
error. Appendix D of the CSS2 spec describes a more restrictive grammar
for CSS2. The CSS Object model is used by others CSS application, such as
SVG, and is not restricted to CSS2 only.

Philippe