Re: DOM 2 Event question...

From: Glenn Adams <gadams@vgi.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:08:02 -0700
To: <Sam.Christiansen@trilogy.com>
Cc: <www-dom@w3.org>
My reading of this text, to use your example, is that:

buttonElt.setAttribute ( "onclick", "alert('foo')" );

can be implemented as (assuming that buttonElt instanceof EventTarget ==
true):

buttonElt.addEventListener ( "click", new Function ( "e",
"alert('foo')" ), false );

However, this seems problematic to me: if an implementation is free to
implement setAttribute in this manner, then would this support standard
attribute semantics; i.e., what would getAttribute() return after
setAttribute()?

Or does this text say "in addition to setting an attribute recognized to
represent an event handler, that implementors may/should/must (?) *also*
create and register an equivalent EventListener on the node"?

Regards,
Glenn Adams