Re: DOM Parsers, Canonical XML

From: <johnd@derwentbs.com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 18:42:43 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org

> johnd@derwentbs.com wrote:
> > Lo all,
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming that all DOM parsers have the ability to
> > output the parsed XML in Canonical XML format?
> >
> > The reason I ask is that I need to be able to read/write the data
> > contained in an XML file. The trouble is that since I am using a 4gl, I
> > cannot use c++ etc function calls. So I was hoping to get a DOM parser
> > that put everything out in canonical format, which I could then read.
> Did you intend to say "Canonical XML", invoking the Canonical XML
> standard, or is the XML standard good enough?

I meant I wanted a parser to parse a document and output the
result to a text file in a nice format I could read. Since I am writing
in a 4gl and cannot use any c or java routines I was hoping
something might have already been written for me :)
I have read a page on jclark.com about canonical XML and it
seemed right up my street.

>  You should be able to read
> and write it in XML format, whether or not it is Canonical XML.  Canonical

Oooh no, I have nowhere near enough time to write a DOM in my

> XML can even break things for you in some cases, so it would be important
> to understand what you are trying to accomplish beyond reading and writing
> the document.

EDI. So the documents arent going to be rocket science.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are
men who want rain without thunder and lightning.  They want the ocean
without the roar of its many waters.
		-- Frederick Douglass