Re: DOM Parsers, Canonical XML

From: David Brownell <david-b@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 15:00:35 +0200
To: <johnd@derwentbs.com>, <www-dom@w3.org>
> Am I correct in assuming that all DOM parsers have the ability to
> output the parsed XML in Canonical XML format?

No -- since there's no such defined concept as a "DOM Parser".
The DOM spec omits this, as well as other key features.

Does it parse a DOM tree and emit SAX(2) events?
Does it parse XML and produce a DOM tree?

Any time you're dealing with conversions between DOM and
any other data structure (e.g. XML text encoded in EUC-JP,
any representation of such text, a database, etc) is
exclusively a proprietary operation.

- Dave