Re: ANN: JDOM

Hi all,

While I unfortunately missed the presentation last night, I had a look
at JDOM. I must say that while it is definitely simpler, it can hardly
compare to the DOM.
I'll be the first one to say that the DOM is far from being the cleanest
and leanest API one could dream of but, unlike JDOM, at least it
truthfully represents XML.

JDOM appears to fail to even simply represent the XML document tree as
it should. Processing instructions, for instance, aren't found in the
tree but instead are stored at the document level.

JDOM confuses entity references and entities. While entity refs are
represented by an Entity object, entities are simply absent.

The way namespaces are handled show a clear misunderstanding of the
basics of XML namespaces and, unless a serious redesign is undertaken,
it will only work for simple cases.

So, if the DOM is "ridiculously complex", JDOM appears to be
ridiculously simple... Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;-)
--
Arnaud  Le Hors