RE: XSL Pattern Queries (values & filters) with DOM

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 10:26:49 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
> That being stated, the DOM needs to do a better job of helping
> implementations figure out how to deal with namespace declarations during
> serialization - perhaps by making it possible to specify the desired
> prefix->URI mappings, etc.

I believe that will be considered in DOM Level 3's Load/Save
(serialization) chapter.

> 2) The DOM *must* provide an API for Infoset addressing.

What you're asking for is an API for querying, which is a higher-level
operation. There's room for debate about whether that should be an API
specified by the DOM, or an API implemented by DOMs and other XML
processing models. The DOM is not the only possible way of representing the
Infoset.

If you want a single API across querying languages (which I agree is the
right answer), I suspect we should wait until unified semantics are
described by the Query Working Group. That's why the Query chapter in Level
2 turned into the Traversal chapter.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research