Re: DOM DOM binding and free software

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I hear that there is an issue about which license to use in the DOM
> Java bindings, and in particular, whether to allow certain kinds of
> modifications that would conflict with a standard.  My information is
> fragmentary, so if I have misunderstood the situation, please forgive
> me.

This is an issue for the first version of the DOM [1]. We changed the
license in the latest version of DOM Level 2 [2]. We will change the
license of DOM Level 1 with the publication of a revised version.

> [ ... ]
>
> I hope you will choose a license for this package that makes it free
> software.  It is also important, as a practical matter, to pick a
> license that is compatible with the GPL, so that this package can be
> linked (statically or dynamically) with GPL-covered packages.

In [3] :

"This formulation of W3C's notice and license became active on August 14 1998
 so as to improve compatibility with GPL. This version ensures that W3C software
 licensing terms are no more restrictive than GPL and consequently W3C software
 may be distributed in GPL packages."

A list of W3C Open Source Software is available on the W3C web site [4].

Regards,
Philippe.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-DOM-Level-1-19981001/copyright-notice.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/CR-DOM-Level-2-19991210/copyright-notice.html
[3] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-software-19980720
[4] http://www.w3.org/Status
--
Philippe Le Hegaret - http://www.w3.org/People/LeHegaret/
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), DOM Activity Lead