Re: DOM binding considered harmful, discriminates against open source]

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1999 15:39:00 -0500
cc: www-dom@w3.org
>Could someone explain why free/open source would have to use different

It shouldn't have to, if all you're doing is using the DOM APIs as they
stand. Which is what you'd want to do, since you expressed a concern about

If you want to alter the API by some mechanism other than subclassing, you
should be using a different package name so folks know you're doing
something other than a fully compliant DOM.

The other issue seemed to be the copyright notice. I'm told that some
open-source policies can't deal with referencing APIs credited to someone
else, and insisted on being _completely_ open source. My personal opinion
is that this is a bug in their policies. If it's really a problem, the DOM
bindings can be put into the same category as standard language libraries,
which are treated as pre-existing rather than being part of the project's
distribution package.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research