Re: Comments on DOM level 2

From: Lauren Wood <lauren@sqwest.bc.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:18:56 -0800
To: <www-dom@w3.org>
On 8 Oct 99, at 7:33, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> 1) DOM level 2 should provide better support for ID attributes.
>
> This could be done by
>     * creating a new constant for the whatToShow attribute of the
>     nodeIterator interface called  SHOW_ELEMENT_WITH_ID, or
>     * adding a required iterator+filter to the document and
>     documentFragment interfaces.
> It may be that some method must be provided which declares that
> a particular attribute is an ID attribute. It would be prudent to
> allow as parameters: the namespace URI, the attribute name,
> a possible null list of elements in the same namespace that the
> attribute belongs to.

The DOM WG discussed this and decided to wait for the DTD
support that will be part of Level 3 for this.

>     * Also, some method such as "getElementByID()" should be
>     provided on the document and documentFragment nodes.

Added for Document; we'd want a good use case for
DocumentFragment, or indeed any Node, since the cost of
implementation could be quite high.

>     * Also, some method such as "setElementID()" should be
>     provided on element nodes.

Will  also be tackled when we have DTD support.

> 2) DOM level 2 should not require lexical-checking for URIs,
> system and public identifiers, and XML names, except at some
> user-supplied option.

The DOM currently does not do such checking except for XML
Names; the rest will be in Level 3.

Lauren