Re: Proposal for bootstrapable DOM and CSSOM

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edfgdf.fr>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:04:30 +0100 (MET)
To: lehors@us.ibm.com (Arnaud Le Hors)
Cc: Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr, www-dom@w3.org, www-style@w3.org, xsl-list@mulberrytech.com
> May I point out that, as a matter of fact, the DOM is already defined in
> XML? As described in the Production Notes [1], the spec (HTML), the IDL
> definition, the Java and ECMAScript bindings are generated from a single
> XML source document.

Yes, and this is an excellent starting point. But things stop on the
textual description. We would like to see a XSLT solution for each
binding.

> For historical reasons, this is not achieved with XSL, but I would
> expect this to be possible. The DOM WG has actually discussed several
> times the idea of switching to XSLT, the only reason we haven't done so
> is a lack of resources. A lot of time has been spent on developing the
> tools we currently use and, while admittedly it would be very neat to
> do, we just can't afford doing so.

Arnaud, who's that "we" ? IMHO the cost of such an extension is worth
doing it, if compared to the possible benefits.

> Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Technology Group

BTW, how are things going ?-) Correctly installed ?

</Daniel>