Re: DOM DOM binding considered harmful, discriminates against open source

Ken MacLeod wrote:

> Another data point: IETF standards-track documents and many other RFCs
> also disallow modification outside the IETF standards process per RFC
> 2223, section 11:
>
>   <ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2223.txt>

Absolutely, and I have no problem with that.  But RFCs don't contain code!
Or if they do, it is example code that can be replaced by free code performing
the same function.

To work with the DOM, however, one must have the (compiled form of) the
very declarations in the org.w3c.dom packages.  To use them in open-source
programs, those declarations must themselves be open-source.

--

John Cowan	http://www.reutershealth.com		jcowan@reutershealth.com
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! / Schliess eurer Aug vor heiliger Schau