Re: DOM DOM binding considered harmful, discriminates against open source

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:19:31 -0500
To: lauren@sqwest.bc.ca
cc: John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>, www-dom@w3.org
>    However, modified versions of the DOM bindings may be created
>    provided that:
>
>         the W3C copyright notices are not removed;
>
>         a comment is added that the modified binding
>              does not conform to any W3C standard;
>
>         in the case of the Java binding, the package names
>              are changed to be no longer in the org.w3c package.

Interesting proposal.

Note that the same result can usually be accomplished (in Java, at least)
by declaring a new set of interfaces, in the new package, which inherit
from and override/extend the standard DOM API. That avoids needing to
copy/alter the existing W3C bindings, and makes the relationship between
your subclass and the standard DOM explicit.

This approach might not work in all languages. But it seems to offer a way
out of the current collision while we wait for the lawyers to ponder the
Meaning Of Open.
Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research