xml declaration

From: Daniel Glazman <Daniel.Glazman@der.edf.fr>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 14:13:11 +0200
To: www-dom@w3.org
Pardon me if my question is stupid but is there a way to access
the XML declaration (the <?xml... PI-like thing) through the DOM ?
I mean that it is impossible for an application built over the DOM
to know the encoding, the xml version and if the document is
standalone or not.

This is not a real problem for the moment, but if we have some day
a new version of XML, I'd like to have access to the version attribute
in order to correctly generate the output of a document tree...

</Daniel>