Q: about readonly documents and createXXX

From: Arthur Rother <arthur.rother@ovidius.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 05:05:51 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
Hello,

DOM doesn't say anything about readonly property for a document. But I can
imagine, there are implementations out there, that can mark a document as
readonly.

According to DOM, what is the document? is it the document structure +
contents, or a collection of nodes in some kind of database.
What does changing the document mean? does it mean to change the structure,
or to change something in the database, that the document is in.
If the document is the structure + contents, is it allowed to create
unattached nodes in readonly documents? This because it doesn't change the
document itself, but does affect the database. So my guess is, that
readonly refers to the database, that the document is stored in. Am I correct?
Is there a general idea about readonlyness, or is it up to the
implementator, how to interpret this?

Best regards
Arthur Rother