Modifying the text component of a DOM Node

From: Nigel Byrnes <byrnes@prl.research.philips.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 11:15:13 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org
Cc: xml-feedback@java.sun.com
Hi DOM-ers

I have a problem with modifying the text component of a node. What I am
hoping to achieve could have the affect of removing emphasis from text,
for example, ie, this xml document:

<myDoc>this is some <emph>emphasis</emph></myDoc>

gets transformed to:

<myDoc>this is some emphasis</myDoc>

The approach which I am using is:

1. Get the text associated with the <emph> node.
2. append it to the text component of the <myDoc> node
3. delete the <emph> node

Using Sun's Java xml-ea2 DOM API
check out the following code for this purpose. In the example above, the
method copyIntoParent (Node) would be called with <emph> as the

The trouble is with the setNodeValue(String) method in the Node
interface of Sun's API. I call it in the setTextInNode(Node n, String
newText) method, but the print outs I have in the copyIntoParent(Node)
method show that it has no affect.

- are there any other DOM-ers using Suns DOM API?
- is setNodeValue(String) the right method to call. if not, what?

Any help/ suggestions will be cool

public void copyIntoParent(Node n) {
  // get current node's text content copy it
  // into parent node, in place of current node
  // Has the affect of removing elements from
  // text content.

  // Print out the current text value of this node
  System.out.println("child " + n.getNodeName() + "  " +

  // update the text value of this node with the "** my new text **"
  setTextInNode(n, "** my new text **");

  // Print out the updated text value of this node
  System.out.println("child " + n.getNodeName() + "  " +

 public void setTextInNode(Node n, String newText) {

  // Read the text that this node has
  // and append to it the new text that is to be added
  String currentText = getTextFromNode(n);
  currentText += newText;

 public String getTextFromNode(Node n) {
  // get current node's text content
  Node      child;
  String    textData = "";
  NodeList  children;
  int   numberOfChildren;

  // If the node has any child nodes,
  // bung all of them into a nodelist called children
  children  = n.getChildNodes();
  numberOfChildren = children.getLength();

  // Read each child now
  for (int i = 0; i < numberOfChildren; i++) {
   child = children.item(i);

   // If this child has some text, let's get it!
   if (child.getNodeType() == 3)
    textData += child.getNodeValue();
  return textData;