RE: Relation between core DOM and HTML DOM

From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 11:19:29 +0100
To: "'Arnaud Le Hors'" <lehors@w3.org>, "'DOM list'" <www-dom@w3.org>
Arnaud Le Hors wrote,

> There is no such thing as "core DOM implementations". You
> either have an XML DOM implementation (this is Core + XML
> extensions) or an HTML DOM implementation (this is Core +
> HTML), or possibly an implementation that does both.

Looking back over some of the earlier DOM drafts this makes
sense. In these earlier drafts there was a straightforward
distinction made between 'Core', 'XML extensions' and 'HTML
extensions'. In later drafts, however, and in the REC, the
Core and XML sections have been merged in a way which makes
the distinction far less clear. If nothing else this new
layout suggests that an HTML document ISA XML document ...
which is wrong, obviously.

I think a few clarificatory paragraphs would be in order
for the benefit of those of us who haven't been on board
from the outset.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                          Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect           5/6 Glenthorne Mews