Re: C++ specification for DOM

Kent Sievers wrote:

> I am tasked with producing code that reads/writes data to/from a
> proprietary data store into/out of DOM objects that can then be taken
> to/from XML.  In addition to JAVA, I am required to produce a C++
> version of the code.  The JAVA language binding, along with several
> samples of XML parsers has given me all I need for the JAVA
> implementation.
>
> Will there be a C++ definiton published?
>
> In C++ do I assume "get" and "set" functions identical to the JAVA ones:
> e.g. getNodeValue and setNodeValue?  Do they go in front of the other
> interfaces, like they do in JAVA?

Look at the IDL->C++ language mapping for CORBA. Try:http://www.omg.org/

There are already stub-compilers to do this mapping.

I have used it to create my C++ implementation of DOM
(not yet complete), which is LGPL'ed:
http://users.cybercity.dk/~ccc25861/Programming/DOMImplementation.html

> I have to also have a release function.  Do I just call it release?
> Does it go in front of all the other interface calls, like it was
> inherited from a base, or does it go on the end?

There is a standard life-cycle interface defined in CORBA. I intendto use
that in my implementation (when the life-cycle code is
ready for omniORB and I get it installed...)

> This may seem trivial, but I really want the objects that I produce to
> be castable as DOM objects by anyone I give them to, using whatever C++
> software they are using.

If you want to mix the C++ and Java implementations at runtime, you_really_
want to use CORBA! Then you get network transparency
for free too, and the option to use any other programming-language
later too (as long as there's an ORB written for it, but they are all
mostly freeware and usually come with source-code).

Cheers
--
val it = ("ÁNOQ of the Sun", "Johnny Andersen",
["anoq@vip.cybercity.dk", "anoq@berlin-consortium.org"],