RE: DOM Level 1 Becomes a W3C Recommendation

From: <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 18:37:56 +0100
To: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>, <www-dom@w3.org>
Joe Kesselman wrote,

> Well, it's "only" a performance hit and a relatively
> simple and not-horribly-expensive walk up the parents.
> As opposed to what's required to make getElementsByName
> work.

Hmm ... well I'd just managed to work out a reasonably
workable adaptive implementation which allowed for
constant time editing so long as no NodeLists were
active; linear time with NodeLists active; and a
technique for 'expiring' unused NodeLists. So, do lots
of editing and I'd have got O(1) behaviour, do lots of
indexed access and I'd have got O(n) behaviour.

This new requirement rules this implementation out :-(

Cheers,

Miles