RE: DOM Level 1 Becomes a W3C Recommendation

From: <keshlam@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 13:28:25 -0400
To: www-dom@w3.org
>> * added text about HIERARCHY_REQUEST_ERR being raised
>> by Node.insertBefore/replaceChild/appendChild when the
>> specified node is one of this node's ancestors.
>Oh, thank-you *very* much (not) ... bang goes O(1) insert.

Well, it's "only" a performance hit and a relatively simple and
not-horribly-expensive walk up the parents. As opposed to what's required
to make getElementsByName work.

On the other hand... One could argue that this should really be a
quality-of-implementation issue, since it's a lot of work to guard against
something that no properly-written application is ever going to do. I'd
have argued to "fix it in pubs". Too late now, I presume...?

BTW, I'm still getting pushback from users about the inconsistancy between
attributes having no parent, and attributes not being sharable; they could
understand either choice but the combination confuses them. And me, to be
honest.

Joe Kesselman  / IBM Research
Unless stated otherwise, all opinions are solely those of the author.