getElementsByTagName

From: Peter Pierrou <Peter.Pierrou@excosoft.se>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 98 18:35:12 +0100
To: www-dom@w3.org
I am developing a DOM api in C++ for our product the SGML/XML editor Documentor and I am
a bit confused about the Element::getElementsByTagName method.

In the specification:

"Parameters
   tagname
      The name of the tag to match on. If the string "*" is given, this method will
      return all elements in the document"

Does it really mean that "*" returns all elements in the Document, even the elements in the
parent chain of the element instance, or does it mean all elements descending the
element instance?

Also: I presume that the method is recursive, please tell me if i am wrong.

Peter Pierrou
Excosoft AB
Electrum 420
S-164 40 Kista