RE: To wstring or not to wstring...

At 10:35 AM 7/7/98 -0400, Smith, Bennett wrote:
>Hello XML'ers
>
>I am new to both CORBA and XML so my question might be off target.
>
>This discussion of wchar/wstring in IDL worries me.  If it is true that
>the various operating systems implement wide characters in various byte
>lengths and encodings, how does proposing that a sequence be used in the
>DOM IDL help anything?  It seems to me that by using the sequence in the
>DOM IDL spec. you are then asking each implementor to handle the data
>marshaling/unmarshaling for wide characters to/from any other platform.
>Is this true?

It would seem to be that either a) one is calling a DOM function via
CORBA,and the ORB will handle the marshalling/translation .. or b) one is
calling DOM from the same platform, so whatever wstring maps to on that
platform is the same on both the calling side and the DOM implementation
side.  So I don't see that this is a problem, but maybe I'm missing something.

Mike Champion